I Jumped ahead
As I stated in my previous posts, one thing I would at least like to try is to play a game all the way through in its native Japanese. That means no English subs, all menus/instructions in Japanese and thus adapt or die. Well, not die. That's a bit extreme. Regardless, I had planned to do this far later down the line until it seems as if fate intermingled. I recently purchased Ubisofts UPLAY subscription service, mostly for Breakpoint and Assassins creed. Yes, I'm aware there is some hypocrisy with my stance on video games and Ubisoft while contributing to the company however, I'll discuss this in a later post.
The beauty of Uplay (and Steam of course) is that regardless of where you're from, you can choose to install additional languages. Ubisoft has a brilliant track record of well done Japanese games, something which surprised me. As you can guess, I downloaded Breakpoint and had Japanese audio as well as watchdogs 2. What went wrong however was Far Cry New Dawn. I'm unsure what I actually did, but I seemed to of switched everything to Japanese. Menus, dialogue etc. Rather than change it, I decided to roll with it. Playing games in Native Japanese has aided me a lot. I was navigating menus with ease to my surprise. While I obviously couldn't understand everything, I simply utilized Kanji I already knew and applied. Such as 音声. I read this as....
音 - On, the first kanji from 音楽 meaning music
声 - Voice
With my prior knowledge, I guessed Onkoe? It's actually Onsei however It did lead me to what I guessed. Sound settings! It's little victories like that which make it worth it.
音声-onsei
Being a Western game, Katakana was all over the place. As I posted previously, katakana is not my strong point. I'm getting there but it could definitely use some work. Funnily enough, I was able to work out a large portion of words and sentences.
![]() |
| It's a bit of a culture shock being absolutely devoid of any English, but definitely beneficial in the long run |
I'm unsure if you can actually decipher that screenshot due to blog spots restrictions but already their game has taught me に向かう
Seeing 向 without even considering the ni prior which usually signifies movement, I thought it was nani or something. Foolish me Mukau is a weird one. On value, it means "to face" but can also be used as "to go" or "head to" or even better "I'm off too". My example from that screenshot is
トンネル に向かう - Tunnel ni mukau.
Head to the tunnel.
Alternatively, if we made it 私はトンネルに向かう It would be "I'm off to the tunnel" rather than the order head to the tunnel. From my already knowledge, I'm confused on why トンネルに行く was not used. Instead of Mukau, it uses Niiku coming from ikimasu meaning to go. I'll have to look into this further. As for the writing at the top, I had no clue. Breaking it apart, we have Wo meaning it's a doing something sentence but apart from that, I had no idea. I translated it earlier to saying
希望を求めて meaning "In search of hope" or "seeking hope" which makes sense due to an earlier objective.
ホープカウンティーに向かう - Head to hope
Finally, we have the issue of objectives. Thankfully, Far cry is pretty straight forward with it's objectives. It's usually 'liberate this' or 'kill that' so I wasn't too worried about them. Regardless it was also a great way to figure out what I was meant to do.
Here we have our objectives. The action I found easy to understand. We have 見 which pretty much tells us we'll be looking or seeing. Adding つける is a conjunction and thus turns Mitsuke (find) into the order for locating. As such, it's asking us to locate 40 pieces of duct tape and 材料見つける Which I believe means material?
The rest of the game is not so simple because, well, of course, it isn't. It's a game in a language I don't truly understand! That's the beauty though. It's like a huge puzzle, piecing it together.
The main menu is something pretty much every game has. The majority of it is written in katakana. I was able to read all bar the top one. From top to bottom...
続ける - To continue - Tsuzukeru
ニューゲーム - New game
サバイバルガイド - Survival Guide
オプション - Option
クレディット - Credit
ストー - Store
デスクトップに戻る -desktopnimodoru
戻る - Pretty much means to return. On it's own, Modo is just return. if you wanted to say something like I'll be back in ten, you'd use modorimasu.
10分したら戻ります - Juubun shitara modorimasu
I've still got a long way to go in far cry new dawn, but I hope it increases my reading ability further!




No comments:
Post a Comment